Monday, January 10, 2005

Thank You ! ! !




This is the time to sit down and write some Christmas thank-you notes.

One of the presents I received this year has already provided me with a generous measure of blessing. My friends John and Vicky Joseph gave me a wonderful gift! "How Can I Keep from Singing" is a recently released CD produced right here in Hamilton. This CD is all the more special to them and to me because their daughter Felicia is one of the featured voices.

Locally produced CDs featuring church youth choirs don't usually rate too high on my musical expectation list. One often treasures them more for their personal and sentimental value. However, "How Can I Keep From Singing" is for me a real winner. I listened to it once the day I received it and then I immediately listened to it again. It has been played at least half a dozen times in our household over the holiday season and I know that it will be played many times more in the future.

This CD features the Youth Choir of Sts. Peter and Paul Roman Catholic Church here in Hamilton under the direction of Brenda Bianchi. This group of about forty young singers not only demonstrates musical talent but these young people bring to the varied selection of music they present a certain sincere and jubilant enthusiasm that is quite contagious. Thanks to the magic of electronics the ever so suitable instrumental accompaniment, which sounds like a small orchestra, is really all the work of the Choir's musician Gregory Ulrich.

The music is sparkling, uplifting and varied in mood and tone. It deserves to be noted that Director Bianchi is also the composer of two of the selections presented and responsible for the vocal arrangements for several of the other traditional selections in the collection. I think that this CD is a wonderful treat for anyone who is seeking a fresh sound in Christian music by and for youth.

The CD was produced by Bianchi and Ulrich and is distributed by Adoremus Records (50 Brucedale Ave. E., Hamilton, ON, L9A 1M8). I don't know whether or not it is being released commercially but if you are in the Hamilton area and you get a chance to purchase a copy - don't pass it up.

May I express my thanks to all who were involved in this production. Your work has brought me joy. It does indeed make me feel like singing!

My thanks to John and Vicky for their most thoughtful gift - and a special thanks to their daughter Felicia for her lovely presentation of "To You O Lord."





No comments: